Having finished with the rough prototypes, this is the final, printed on card design.
In looking at it in the photographs, my conclusion to this project would be, firstly I wish it could have been bigger and secondly I wish that I could use a craft knife a little better. Having seen the physical product, I would be happy, if I had perfected the cutting out and scoring processes, I would be happy to pitch this.
The original idea was to allow children to picture themselves as the super hero or even to be able to play with the box after. As we all know that on Christmas day most children (or big kids) prefer to play with the box than take interest in the present. I even trialed this idea on my young cousins, who loved it.
With all the workshop/thinking and practice module now complete, I can focus on the main projects ready for deadlines, mid may and the start of my internship just after.
Creating prototypes is a key step in creating anything 3d that is for commercial use, not only to get colours right, but also to make sure nets work.
My net was custom, so it had to be adjusted a little after I had made it up after printing. These are the pictures of my net, and two prototypes.
Out of every piece of software we have had workshops on, I must say that Cinema 4d is the most confusing and I hope I never have to use it outside of university.
My piece was originally supposed to show the E4 logo as a hooded figure, with the paranoia-inflicting slogan “E4 Just Knows”, but after a lot of trial and error I struggled.
If I had time, I would like to conquer Cinema 4d, but with my placement starting soon and deadlines just around the corner, it seems impossible. If I can access this software, I will attempt to learn more about this software in my downtime from my placement.
Until then, I shall leave this project as it is.
This is a show reel for all of the workshops we have done this academic year.
Collaboration is an important part of learning and production sometimes. At university we combined our typography projects to create a massive final piece. Below you will find the making of, the mixing up and the solved final piece.
Please check out Sophie Strain‘s blog and Jemma Lynch’s blog.
The moment when your piece is chosen to feature on the University promo is a moment that will certainly make you smile.
See below the full promo (I did the library scenes)
We were each given a statistic for our university, Huddersfield, and told to make a ten second, simple animation in university colours. This project was done under stict time restraints (4hours).
After two quick Adobe Illustrator file creations, this is the final outcome:
Sometimes, scaling drawings and ideas up can aide in the overall design of something. From an A4 sketch, I scaled up each segment onto A5. This helped me realise a potential layout for a final typographic solution to the phrase “Cryptic Conundrums”.
In a new mini worshop brief, we have had the opportunity to create a hypothetical cereal for children. For this we needed to consider character design, box design, product names and so on.
Here is the initial moodboard for the packaging:
After a few initial sketches, and a character designed I came up with the following ideas:
With a lot of discussion with young family members and others, I decided to put forward my idea of having a superhero styled box with a cape, that would just be the chest of said superhero. The “super duck” idea was a winner by far. In looking into the ergonomics and aesthetics, one must also consider shelfspace. For this reason, I expanded the idea further to have the shape of the box inverted and have a super villian to sell along side. Further development will be needed.
During a workshop, we have been given a chance to design a poster for E4. E4 prides itself in being the most outrageous channel on television. I decided to go for a dark approach to the brief and came up with the concept of E4 just knowing. It leaves the hook open and to be contested. It’s fun as the blanks can be filled in by the specific 18-24 year old audience.